We are getting closer to the fun part of a detox, actually starting it! First I wanted to give you some tips to get you in the right frame of mind. There are many different detox programs out there. Since everyone is different, I do not always recommend a “one-size-fits-all“ approach to detoxification.
Some detox programs require that you buy a ton of supplements and their packaged foods or snacks. If this works for you then great, I on the other hand prefer to go the whole and clean foods approach. You can add a couple of supplements to help support the process, which I will discuss tomorrow. In the meantime, here are 7 tips to get started thinking. If you choose to follow these guidelines alone, you will feel the benefits of a detoxification.
1. Eat whole foods. This means taking out all processed foods. Stick to vegetables, fruit, good quality protein (but skip the red meat), gluten-free grains*, legumes, nuts and seeds. If you can, try to eat organic whenever possible, as you want to reduce the toxins in your body.
2. Eliminate sugar, wheat, gluten, dairy, red meat, caffeine and alcohol. Why? These are the foods that most people are allergic to or have sensitivities to. They are also the foods that many individual consume the most, so you want to give your digestive system a break. With just a bit of planning, this will be easier than you may think!
3. Eat your greens. Green vegetables, especially dark leafy greens, detoxify the body naturally. They are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, helping to alkalize the body and prevent disease. Add dandelion greens, kale, spinach, parsley, Swiss Chard or broccoli.
4. Don’t forget the fiber. Fiber is essential especially during a detox since it is important that you are eliminating the toxins from your body. Eat plenty of vegetables and fruit. If you need an extra boost of fiber, add 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed in a glass of water in the morning.
5. Water! Drink at least 8 cups of water a day – this can include herbal tea.
6. Get moving. Exercise is important because it gets the body moving. The circulatory and lymphatic systems play significant roles in the detoxification process. You may not want to go for a 10 km run while on a detox as your body is working hard to clear the toxins from its system and needs the rest. Instead go for a walk, do some yoga or stretching.
7. Breathe. Be conscious of your breathing. Breathing deeply helps the oxygen circulate throughout your system. Take 10 minutes a day for yourself to sit still and breath in and out. This time helps to reduce stress, which is the number one cause of inflammation in the body.
* Gluten Free Grains include rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat and amaranth to name a few...
I hope you are starting to get excited for a spring cleanse! Please share any questions as I would love to hear them.